Comments & Complaints




At Westbury-On-Trym Primary Care Centre we make every effort to provide a high-quality service that is safe and effective for all patients.

Your comments and feedback on the services we provide will help us understand what is working well and how we can improve or develop our services in the future.

To send us your comments please use our Contact Us Form or complete a feedback form in Reception.

We understand that we may not always get everything right and, by telling us about the problem you have encountered, we will be able to improve our services and patient experience.

Most problems can often be sorted out quickly and easily at the time they arise, with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.


Do you have a Concern or a Complaint?

NHS England defines a Concern as something a patient is worried or nervous about but can be raised at the time.

A Complaint is a statement about something that is wrong or that the patient is dissatisfied with which requires a response.


Making a Complaint

We take all complaints very seriously. If you would like to speak to the complaints manager about a concern or complaint, please ask a member of staff to request this. If the complaints manager is not available at the time of your initial complaint, we may need to arrange a booked appointment to discuss this with you.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way, you may wish to make a formal complaint. You should do this, preferably in writing, as soon as possible after the event. This helps us to establish what happened more accurately. In any event, this should be within 12 months of the incident, or within 12 months of you becoming aware of the issue.

We can provide you with a separate complaint form to register your complaint, or you can provide this in your own format, providing it covers all the necessary aspects.

If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.


What Happens Next?

We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 5 working days, and endeavour to have investigated the matter within 10 working days.  If the matter is likely to take longer than this, we will keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is learning to be taken from it and aim to resolve the matter in a timely fashion.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g., other community services) we will aim to liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this.

If the complaint involves a hospital, we ask that you contact their PALS (Patient Advice Liaison Service) team directly as they are best placed to investigate further for you.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.


Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else?

If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, or the parent of a minor involved, or do not have legal Power of Attorney, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they consent to the formal complaint being raised.

Please ask at reception for the Complaints Form which contains a suitable third-party authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent, it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.



We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. We will ensure that all complaints are investigated with the utmost privacy and that any documents are held separately from the patient’s healthcare record.


There are two ways you can make a Complaint about Primary Care Services:

You can submit your complaint directly to your healthcare provider.

Westbury-On-Trym Primary Care Centre. 

Please send your written complaint to:

The Complaints Manager
Westbury on Trym Primary Care Centre
Westbury Hill, Westbury on Trym, BS9 3AA

The practice Complaints Manager is Georgia Pearce. However, the Practice Manager and Complaints Lead GP Partner will assist in any investigation as necessary.

You can also complain to Bristol, North Somerset, and South Gloucestershire Integrated Care Board as commissioner for this service.

The best way to do this is using an online form

Alternatively, you can contact the customer service team.

Customer Services Team
NHS Bristol, North Somerset, and South Gloucestershire ICB
360 Bristol – Three Six Zero
Marlborough Street

  • Tel: 0117 900 2655 or 0800 073 0907 (freephone)

You can also receive support with making a complaint from:

The Care Forum


If you are Dissatisfied with the Outcome:

You have the right to approach the Ombudsman. The contact details are:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower